Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Revival



Some news. Well, quite a lot has happened in 2 years as you hopefully are aware of.

This blog was initially created due to my burning desire to play Spore. Well we have now been able to sample this delicious cake for a few weeks and I have to say that, well, it is exactly what I expected, no suprises. Suprisingly it is a bit harder to use than I expected and it is quite fidgety. Of course, we all understand that an editor this limitless will have its problems but that's where it stings you a bit. You open up this magical demo with the expectation that you can create anything you can imagine, and well you could if you had the time and the effort. But usually when you have perfected your skulking predator and testdrive it you find that evolution doesn't recognize clipping, at all.

You try to create a Tyranid in anticipation of Dawn of War 2, what you get is a cute clunky comic-like representation of what could very well be a Carnifex, but not really. My main complaint here is that the truly menacing look is a bit hard to achieve due to the Pixar style graphics. If you look at the top-rated creations however you soon realize that this limitation is entirely your own, someone made a car for gods sake. The coloring part is also useless for me as my 64mg video card takes a full 15 seconds to paint a creature.

Furthermore, my earlier fear that 90% of creatures will look horrible and just plane uninspired has come true. Check the newest additions section of the Sporepedia and you will see what I mean. If you want to you can check out my own horrid creations among others.

Overall though the editor is excellent and I will be looking forward to playing the full game in September.

No comments: